- Job 1:1-5 – See Ezekiel 14:12-16, 18-20. Job was doing everything he could to make sure he and his family were on good terms and God. Ezekiel references Job as a faithful man.
- Job 1:6-12 – Who were the sons of God? Compare Job 38:7.
- Job 1:13-22 – Immediately after all the bad news, Job worshipped God.
- Job 2:1-10 – Satan brings physical misery on Job. Job still refuses to curse God. See Job 38:1; 40:1-4; 42:6-7
- Job 2:6 – Note that Satan is neither omniscient nor omnipotent.
- Job 2:11-13 – Job’s three friends arrive and sit with him. See John 9:1-3; Luke 13:1-5. We can’t presume to know why God does various things or allows them to happen.
- Job 3:1-26 – Job is in anguish, wishing he’d never been born.