- Judges 2:6-10 – “know” means to regard or esteem God. They knew of God, but did not esteem Him.
- Apostasy doesn’t happen overnight. It often happens after years of unaddressed spiritual problems.
- Apostasy often has outside help. Possibly even parents and elders.
Things that can produce “another” generation
Young people not encouraged to ask “why”
Acts 17:11 – This advice is good for others and for us.
There are two kinds of doubt:
“I doubt it!” – refusal to budge from a position
“I doubt it?” – honest doubt seeking answers
Thomas had the right kind of doubt. He was willing to believe, but wanted reason to.
Paul Little, paraphrased – Children who ask questions to adults with a high shock index are quickly taken aback by their reaction and switch to towing the party line. They quietly wait until the pressure to conform is reduced and then leave a faith that was never really their own.
Pressure to become a Christian
- Galatians 4:19
- We can’t force people to be Christians. We should be leading people to Christ.
- Even after people are baptized, don’t leave them. Help them grow.
- I Peter 3:15
- We need more real disciples of Christ!
- Luke 17:20-21 – The kingdom of God is within you! Kingdom here means the rule of God in your heart.
- Luke 18:9
- II Corinthians 10:12
- Romans 2:17-24 – The name of the Lord was blasphemed because of their hypocrisy!
- Little eyes and ears pick up on hypocrisy and it can stay with them for years.
- Galatians 5:13-15 – Don’t bite and devour each other!