- Lesson 8:
- When one obeys the gospel, he is added by the Lord to the church (Acts 2:47). He is then a “lively stone” (I Peter 2:5) in the “whole building fitly framed together unto the Lord” (Ephesians 2:21). He should then become a member of a local church (Acts 9:26). He then has certain responsibilities to the local church, and the local church has certain responsibilities to him.
- Procedure by which one becomes a member of a local church:
- The Lord does not add one to a local church.
- One becomes a member by choice, i.e., by joining the local fellowship (Acts 9:26).
- The purpose of a local church membership:
- It is God’s arrangement for saints to have fellowship in the things Christ has authorized them to do together. (Acts 20:28; Philippians 1:1)
- In it, members are to work and worship together in the things of Christ so that:
- God will be glorified (I Corinthians 10:31; Ephesians 3:21)
- Saints will be edified (Acts 20:28, 32; Colossians 3:16; Ephesians 5:19)
- Sinners will be taught (Philippians 4:15-16)
- Destitute saints will be relieved (Acts 4:32-35; 11:27-30)
- Under some circumstances, to practice discipline on unruly members.
For further study, see also:
local church membership
Questions or comments? Join our Discord server for further study.