Parent and child, continued:
Exercise tough love, continued
- Ephesians 6:1 – “for this is right”
- This should relieve us of any guilt in asking our children to obey.
- We want to get beyond mere obedience with our children. They need to obey with the proper attitude. We are trying to teach them how to serve God.
- Ephesians 6:2 – “Honor your father and mother”
- Proverbs 1:8; 19:26
- Both parents should be respected. Not just one!
- Ephesians 6:4 – “do not provoke your children to anger”
- Ephesians 5:18
- This is a not-but passage. Sometimes are children will be angry with us because they don’t like our decisions as parents. The emphasis here is on not causing them to be angry unnecessarily, driving them away from God.
- Colossians 3:20-21
- Ephesians 4:26, 31 – Anger itself is not necessarily sinful, but it can get that way if we don’t control it.
- Ephesians 6:4 – “bring them up”
- This phrase is translated from the same word as “nourished.”
- If, as a parent, you see something that needs correcting, speak up and do something about it!
- I Kings 1:5-6 – David had never crossed Adonijah to correct him!