- I Samuel 8:4-22
Obey God precisely
- I Samuel 10:8 – This order to wait was apparently a standing order.
- I Samuel 13:7-14; 15:3-28 – This occurred some years after the events of I Samuel 10:8. Saul waited seven days, but not the full seven days.
- I Corinthians 10:5-14 – All these things were written for our instruction.
- I Samuel 13:11-13 – Saul made excuses for his sin.
- I Samuel 15:13-24 – Saul blamed the people for sin, but took ownership for good things. This is not an honorable way to handle sin. Contrast Saul’s behavior with that of David when he sinned.
- Ephesians 6:4 – Being the spiritual leader of the family is a duty given to fathers. Don’t pass the buck!
- Current day example: Dads on Duty
- Genesis 3:12-13 – Blaming others didn’t work. Everyone got punished.
- Stop making excuses and be the kind of person God wants you to be.
Step up and get involved
- I Samuel 17:2-25, 37, 45 – David was willing to face Goliath.
Trusting in the Lord
- David trusted in God to defeat Goliath.
- Daniel 3:17-18 – Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego trusted in God.
- Proverbs 3:5
- Titus 1:9-11 – Action is required to combat false doctrine.