Therefore, did that which is good become a cause of death for me (Romans 7:13-16)?
- Paul emphasizes again that the law is good but sin is the problem.
The struggle against sin (Romans 7:17-25)
- Temptation does not go away just because we are Christians. We must continually fight against temptation. Our victory will come through Christ.
- Compare Galatians 5:17.
- Paul was writing to Romans here. His message was to Christians.
No condemnation in Christ (Romans 8:1-17)
Flesh vs. Spirit
- There are differing views on what the word “spirit” means in this passage. Whatever spirit is it is in contrast to the flesh. What is the contrast?
- Is it fleshly mind vs. spiritual mind?
- Is it flesh vs. the Holy Spirit (through the Word of God)?
- Jeremiah 10:23; Acts 26:9 – A spiritually-minded man can only be spiritually-minded by the word of God.
- Romans 1:9; John 4:24
- Can the same word refer to different things in the same passage?
- I Corinthians 2:10-13 – “spirit”
- Luke 9:60 – “dead”
- Romans 9:6 – “Israel”
- II Corinthians 5:21 – “sin”
- I Peter 3:1 – “word”