- II Peter 1:5-11
Moral excellence (virtue)
- Philippians 2:19-23, 25-30 – Epaphroditus had been entrusted to carry money to Paul. Paul called him a “fellow worker.”
- We want our children to be workers for the Lord. Don’t make excuses for your children to get them out of work for the Lord!
- Colossians 1:3-10
- Do our children know how to serve God?
- I Corinthians 9:24-27 – Paul had to exercise self-control often in dealing with things that happened to him.
- Our children need experience with self-control and self-denial.
Perseverance (patience, steadfastness)
- Romans 5:3-4
- We have to allow our children to persevere. They need opportunities to grow and build character.
- I Corinthians 10:13
- There is value in the struggle. The struggle causes us to grow!
- If we jump in and help every time our children face a challenge, they will never develop perseverance.
- I Timothy 4:7-8; 6:3, 5-6, 11
- Godliness is about dedication to God.
- The most important thing is serving God!
- I John 4:5
- Romans 13:10
- II Peter 1:8
- Are we raising our kids so they will be useful to God?