I Corinthians 9
I Corinthians 9:1-14 – “to get their living from the gospel”
- A preacher has the right to be paid for his work by a local church. Since preachers may be married, that support can be enough to support her as well.
- See II Chronicles 31:4; Nehemiah 13:10-11. The Levites were also supported so that they could devote themselves to serving God.
- Paul notes that he was not writing this for his own benefit (I Corinthians 9:12), but to improve their attitudes when dealing with other preachers.
- See Numbers 18:8-21, 31. The Levites were well supported in their work.
- See also Matthew 10:9-10.
I Corinthians 9:15-18 – “I am not writing these things so that it will be done so in my case”
- Paul felt that he had to preach, but he was happy to be able to do it for free in their case.
I Corinthians 9:19-27 – “I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more”
- Paul changed his approach depending on the circumstances so that he would be effective in preaching. He wanted to win by helping people be saved.