- Ephesians 4:4-6
Do I believe in a religious tradition simply because it’s a tradition?
- II Thessalonians 2:15
- Traditions can be either good or bad – we must go back to God’s word.
- Mark 7:1-8
- II John 1:9
Do I carry stuff over from the Old Covenant?
- Jeremiah 31:31-34
- Galatians 3:24-25
- The Old Covenant is no longer in effect.
- Hebrews 8:6-13 – The Old Covenant is obsolete.
- Hebrews 10:9-10
- Hebrews 10:1
|Law||Old Covenant||New Covenant|
|High priest||Aaron, …||Jesus|
|Worship||Instruments, temple, …||Singing, Lord’s Supper, …|
Do I just believe what my family believes?
- Matthew 10:32-38 – Jesus must be our priority, even if it disrupts family relationships.
- Galatians 1:13-14; I Timothy 1:15 – Paul followed the traditions, but it made him the chief of sinners!
Do I just go along with the experts?
- Who decides who the experts are?
- Matthew 16:6-12 – Beware of the teaching of the experts!
- Matthew 23:1-3, 15
- Acts 4:1-3, 17-18 – The “experts” tried to stop the apostles!
- Acts 5:34
Do I just follow whatever is popular?
- John 6:60-66 – Jesus was not getting good reviews.
- If you’re going with popular opinion, you’ll be against Jesus.
- Matthew 7:13-14
Do I just believe what seems right to me?
- Proverbs 14:12
- Jeremiah 10:23
- Acts 23:1; 26:9 – Paul was doing what seemed right to him.
Why SHOULD I believe something?
- John 17:17
- John 12:48-50
- Can you find these in the Bible?
- Saved by faith only
- Once saved, always saved
- Homosexuality is acceptable
- Infant baptism
- Praying to Mary
- Having an ordained clergy class
- God’s people can divide into denominations
- Holy Spirit “irresistible grace”
- Because I can find it in the Bible!