1 Corinthians 1
The city of Corinth
- Corinth was like the Las Vegas of its day. It was famous for its temple to Aphrodite and renowned as an immoral city.
- Romans 1:28-32
Background: What happened prior to this letter?
- Acts 18:1-8 – Paul tried to teach the Jews first, then the Gentiles.
- I Corinthians 1:14 – Paul baptized Crispus!
- Acts 18:9-17 – See I Corinthians 1:1. This is possibly the same Sosthenes.
- I Corinthians 1:11; 7:1; 12:1; 16:1 – There seems to have been previous discussions with Paul on some of these issues.
I Corinthians 1:1-3 – Greeting
- See I Corinthians 1:18, 30; 11:1; 15:1 – Even with these sins, God was allowing them time to grow.
- I Corinthians 5:5; 11:30 – Some among them were not in a good state with God.
I Corinthians 1:4-9 – Corinthians in Christ
- I Corinthians 1:4 – Paul was thankful for them despite their troubles. Contrast Paul’s attitude with that of Jonah (Jonah 3:10-4:4).
- I Corinthians 1:7 – We should be looking forward to going home to be with God! Things of this life are only temporary.