- I Samuel 18:1
A good friend helps others see the truth.
- Proverbs 27:6, 9
- A true friend is willing to tell you the cold, hard truth.
- A good friend is not someone who always agrees with you.
- Esther 5:9-14 – What should Haman’s friends have said? They should have encouraged him to let this go. Instead, they encouraged him in his foolishness.
- If you have a friend that will tell you the truth, count your blessings! If you don’t have this kind of friend, is it because you are too intimidating?
- Proverbs 15:2 – The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.
A good friend brings out the best in others.
- Proverbs 13:20; 27:17
- Proverbs 22:24 – Bad friends bring out the worst in you!
- What if my friend always uses bad words at red lights?
- What if my friend is always complaining?
- Will we not tend to start doing the same things?
- Proverbs 16:28; 17:9
- Luke 15:6, 9 – Good friends rejoice together in spiritual things!
- Acts 10:24 – Cornelius called his friends and relatives to hear the gospel. That’s being a good friend!
- I Corinthians 13:6
- How have your friends influenced you? Do you think about spiritual things more? How do you dress and act? What kind of friend are you to them?
A good friend helps when it counts.
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 – Friends make us stronger when trouble comes.
- Proverbs 19:4, 6
- Job 2:11-13 – Before they started speaking bad advice, Job’s friends were good friends.
- Proverbs 17:17
- John 11:19, 31-36 – In grief, good friends come to grieve with you.
- Romans 12:15
- Am I this type of friend?
- Are my friends true friends like this?
- II Timothy 4:16
- John 15:13