Local churches are authorized to provide for needy Christians, continued
- James 1:27 – “Can’t the church practice pure and undefiled religion?”
- This passage is talking about individuals – not the church acting collectively.
|James 1:27 (individuals)||I Timothy 5:16 (churches)|
- Luke 10:30-37 – “Jesus taught us to do the same as the good Samaritan.”
- “Even the Old Covenant provided for the needy and the New Covenant is better than the Old Covenant.”
- God defines what is “better.” We can’t pick and choose things from the Old Covenant.
- Acts 2:46 – “The early church broke bread from house to house.”
- “All” must be kept in context. The passage is not saying that 100% of their goods were in the church treasury.
- II Corinthians 9:13 – “Paul said the money went to ‘them’ (needy saints) and to ‘all’ (non-saints).
- This money would do more than just pay the bills – it would cause others to glorify God.
- Paul mentioned this money seven times in three different letters, always noting it was for needy saints.
- I Corinthians 16:1; II Corinthians 8:4; 9:1,12; Romans 15:25, 26, 31
- Acts 10:28, 34-35; Galatians 2:11-13 – Relations were icy between Jews and Gentiles.
- Romans 15:25-27
- Paul is referring to the money and the message is sent about the relationship between Gentile saints and Jewish saints.