- The book is set in the capital city of the Persian Empire, Susa, east of the promised land and covers a period of about ten years.
- Haman – son of Hammedatha the Agagite (King Agag who was supposed to have been killed by King Saul).
- Ahasuerus / Xerxes
- 492-490 B.C. – Darius makes an effort to conquer Greece
- 480-479 B.C. – Xerxes starts second Greece campaign
- The history is primarily from Herodotus’ 440-430 B.C. writiings.
- Four capital cities: Pasargadae, Babylon, Susa, and Ecbatana
The removal of Vashti (Esther 1)
- The king’s anger was long-lasting. It was about four years before Esther took over as queen.