NOTE: We had some technical difficulties with the audio for this lesson. The first few minutes were lost and we had to change microphones part way through the lesson. My apologies. -MRW
Hairesis – factions, heresies, divisions
- I Corinthians 11:19; II Peter 2:1; Acts 5:17; 15:5; 24:5, 14; 26:5; 28:22
- All these groups had their own interpretations of the law.
- There should be no “church of Christ” doctrine. There is only the gospel. We always have to go back to the one source of truth.
- Ephesians 4:1-6
- II Samuel 15:1-6 – Absalom carefully converted people to his cause. Don’t allow this behavior in the church!
Phthonos – envy, envying, envyings
- “… pain felt and malignity conceived at the sight of excellence or happiness” (Zodhiates)
- “… envy desires to deprive another of what he has, jealousy desires to have the same or the same sort of thing for itself” (Vine)
- Luke 11:53; 19:35-40
- Matthew 27:17-18
- How do I deal with envy within myself?
- How do I help others that may be envious of me?
Methe – drunkenness
- Luke 21:34
- Romans 13:12-14
Komos – carousing, revelings, orgies
- The idea is that of wild, out of control parties, often associated with drunkenness.
- I Peter 4:1-5
- We are to be soberminded, looking for good things to do.
“and things like this”
- These things will keep up out of heaven!
- Galatians 5:4 – We can fall from grace!
- Galatians 3:26