- Acts 2:36-41
Let’s talk about “going forward.”
Traditions must fit within truth, not truth within traditions
- James 5:16
- There’s nothing specified about when one must confess.
- The “altar call” tradition seems to have started in the 1830s.
- We are not bound by any tradition outside the Bible.
Church announcements don’t replace obedience or God
- Acts 8:22 – Confession is needed, but it doesn’t replace anything that needs to happen between you and God.
- “Going forward” is not the same as repentance or forgiveness.
Some sins/repentance require public attention; others do not
- I Timothy 5:20
- Matthew 5:23
- Matthew 18:15-17 – Some sins can be handled in private.
Get my attitude right
- James 5:19-20 – Christians should be the first responders coming to help someone in need.
- Luke 15:1-32 – Rejoice with those who repent!
- Matthew 18:21-22 – Be ready and willing to forgive.
- II Corinthians 7:9-10
- Galatians 6:1-2 – Help those who need it!
- Galatians 6:3-5 – Get to work and help!
- Galatians 6:6 – The helper and the help-ee share the things of Christ.
- Galatians 6:7-10 – Help anyone caught in sin, but especially brothers in Christ.
- Galatians 5:22-24
- These things take time, effort, and love!