- Deuteronomy 11:26-29
- Joshua 8:30-34
The blessings of obedience
Did this really happen? Yes!
- The location is there.
- Its arrangement works.
- An altar has been found.
- Other structures have been found.
- Joshua 1:3
- Joshua 4:19-20 – Gilgal means “circle.” It’s not necessarily a city or town.
- Archaeologists found a large stone circle in the right place to be the “Gilgal” mentioned in the text.
Did the blessings come true? Yes!
- Deuteronomy 28:6-7
- Late bronze age/early iron age
- Large Canaanite cities were destroyed
- Replaced by small settlements of invaders
- Dietary remains, construction techniques, and inscriptions say …
- They were Hebrews
- Joshua 11:10-11 – The ruin of Hazor
- Archaeologists found a thick layer of destruction and ash when excavating Hazor.
- Joshua 21:43-45
What do we learn?
- Deuteronomy 11:26-27
- The blessings of obedience
- The blessing of God’s help
- The blessing of righteousness
- The blessing of true success
- The blessing of rest and peace
- The blessing of a lasting legacy
- How do we receive them today?
- Ephesians 1:3
- John 4:14, 23
- Blessed are the poor in spirit
- Blessed are those who mourn
- Blessed are the gentle
- Blessed are those who hunger for righteousness
- Blessed are the merciful
- Blessed are the pure in heart
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Blessed are those persecuted for righteousness
- Obeying God from the heart beings blessings in this life and the life to come.
- These blessings are real and certain.
- We receive them in Christ.
- We should choose these blessings and the life of obedience that brings them.