What do you think of Robert Lowery?
- Do you feel sorry for him?
- Money/marital problems
- Do you wonder why?
- Do you think he is unusual?
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States.
- 2nd leading cause of death for 10-34 years old
- 4th leading cause of death for 35-44 years old
- 5th leading cause of death for 45-54 years old
- There are 2.5x more suicides than homicides in the United States.
- In 2019, suicide rate was nearly four times higher in males than females.
What does the Bible say about suicide?
- Nothing direct, but there are principles.
- Six characters that committed suicide:
- Abimelech – Judges 9:54
- Saul – I Samuel 31:4
- Saul’s armor bearer – I Samuel 31:4-6
- Ahithophel – II Samuel 17:23
- Zimri – I Kings 16:18
- Judas – Matthew 27:5
- Samson? – Judges 16:26-31
- God gave life
- Genesis 2:7; Acts 17:28; James 1:18; Genesis 9:6
- Our purpose is inconsistent with suicide
- I Chronicles 6:11; John 8:12; 7:38; I John 3:16
- I Corinthians 6:20 – Glorify God in your body!
Why do people commit suicide?
- Mental illness (depression)
- Traumatic stress (sexual abuse, rape, physical abuse, war trauma)
- Substance abuse
- Loss/fear of loss (academic, job, imprisonment, financial, relationship)
- Chronic pain, terminal illness
- Feeling like a burden to others
- Social isolation
- All of these basically relate to hopelessness.
Are you or your family at risk?
- Warning signs
- What to do
- Talk to a respected church member.
- I Corinthians 15:1-15, 50-58 – Consider the value Christ puts on your life.
- Focus outside yourself, do good for others