- Luke 8:15
We’re frustrated by the challenge.
- Hebrews 5:11-14 – The Bible is a deep book! Some truth is deeper and takes more effort to understand.
- II Thessalonians 2
- Romans 8:26
- I Corinthians 11
- Luke 19:1-10 – There are many simple truths in the Bible that are valuable to understand.
- Galatians 5:22-23
- Ephesians 1:7
- If you don’t understand a passage, make a note and pigeonhole it for further study later.
We’re just plain biased.
- Jeremiah 42:5-6, 17; 43:1-4 – They did what they wanted to, regardless of God’s word.
- Galatians 5:21 – Drunkenness is a sin!
- Ephesians 4:32 – Forgive each other.
- What’s the point of reading and studying if we don’t obey?
- I Peter 3:21 – Baptism saves! Bias can cause us to overlook the simple meaning of a passage.
- Romans 4:10 – Abraham was counted as righteous before he was circumcised.
- Acts 15:15-19 – Amos talked about how to deal with Gentiles. The Jews had overlooked this for 800 years! We can have the same problem because of our own bias.
We’re reluctant to admit, “I don’t know.”
- Mark 12:18-25 – The Sadducees did not understand the scriptures regarding marriage or resurrection.
- There are certain things we just don’t know!
- Deuteronomy 29:29
- Acts 4:12 – Jesus is the only way to salvation. What about the tribe isolated in the jungle? We don’t know, but God is fair and righteous, and He can work it out.
We’re afraid of the application.
- John 9:16, 20-23 – The parents of the formerly blind man were afraid to say anything about Jesus because of the Jews.
- John 12:37, 42-43 – Many believed, but were afraid to act on their belief.
- I Corinthians 6:9-10 – We can’t be scared of applying these verses.
- Galatians 2:12 – Even an apostle (Peter) succumbed to fear!
- Acts 2:38
- John 16:33
James 4:7 – If we don’t submit to God, the rest of it doesn’t matter!