- Dan Kimball, How Not to Read the Bible
God’s Laws Through the Ages
Genesis 1 – Laws for Patriarchs
- Genesis 3; 6:14; 12
- Genesis 4 – Cain and Abel presenting offerings, showing they had been instructed to do so.
- Genesis 18:19
Exodus 20 – Law of Moses for Israel (Old Covenant)
- Exodus 19:3-6
- Deuteronomy 5:1-3
- This was Gid’s law for Israel. It was specific to that group.
Prophets – Laws for Gentiles
- Isaiah 13:1; 14:29; 15:1; 18:1; 19:1; 21:11, 13 – Examples of God giving instructions to Gentiles.
- Jeremiah 46; Amos 1
- Romans 4:15 – Without law, there is no sin.
- Jonah 1:2 – The Ninevites evidently knew God’s laws.
Transition: Jesus Lived Under the Old Covenant, Taught the New Covenant
- Matthew 5:17-18 – Jesus came to fulfill the law.
- Matthew 4:23
Acts 2 – Law of Christ for ALL (New Covenant)
Acts 10 – Law is for Gentiles also!
John 12:48 – Jesus’ law will carry on until the last day.
Study each passage in its context to determine its relevance to us.
- Generally, the New Testament is for us, the Old Testament is not. But even that is an oversimplification.
- Not everything in the Old Testament is irrelevant.
- Not everything in the New Testament is an instruction for us.