- II Timothy 3:15
The story of the Old Testament
- Genesis 1:1, 27
- God never gives dogs or trees moral commands. Man is unique in his ability to make moral decisions.
Main problem = sin
- Ecclesiastes 7:29
- Genesis 3:6 – Man sins.
- I John 3:4 – Sin is the transgression of the law.
- Isaiah 59:2 – Sin separates us from God.
- Romans 5:12 – All sinned, so death spread to all men.
- Ezekiel 18:20 – A man is responsible for his own sin.
God’s solution = promises to Abraham
Genesis 12:1-3, 7 – God makes three promises to Abraham:
I will make you a great nation – fulfilled in the Old Testament
in you all the families of the earth will be blessed – fulfilled in the New Testament
to your descendants I will give you land – fulfilled in the Old Testament
Genesis 50:26 – Israel is already starting to become a great nation while in Egypt.
Books of the Old Testament
- Genesis – Creation, nation of Israel goes to Egypt and multiplies.
- Exodus – Israel leaves Egypt
- Leviticus – God’s law for the Israelites
- Deuteronomy 4:1-8
- Joshua – Canaan settled by the Israelites
- Judges – Later generations of Israelites fall away from God repeatedly, to be led back to God by judges chosen by God.
- Judges 2:8-10
- I Samuel, II Samuel – Beginning of the kingdom of Israel. The reigns of Saul, David, and Solomon.
- I Kings, II Kings – Divided kingdom – Israel and Judah. Both kingdoms are eventually taken into captivity.
- II Kings 17:5-6
- Ezra, Nehemiah – Jews return and rebuild.
- Nehemiah 9:1-5, 30-34 – It’s important to follow God’s law!
- Jeremiah 31:31 – A new covenant was coming!
The story of the New Testament
- Matthew 1:1, 16-17
- John 1:14-18
- Matthew 4:23 – Jesus came and proclaimed the good news.
- Jesus proclaimed a spiritual kingdom, not a physical one. This confused many people.
- Jesus publicly called out the hypocrisy of religious leaders, especially the Pharisees.
- Matthew 27:50-54 – Jesus was crucified.
- Hebrews 10:4; 9:22 – Blood is required for forgiveness of sins.
- Hebrews 9:15
- Acts 2:22-24, 32-41 – The full gospel is presented for the first time.
Highlights from the New Testament
- Colossians 2:14 – Old Covenant no longer in effect.
- Ephesians 4:4; Colossians 1:18
- Ephesians 5:23
- II Corinthians 5:10
- Romans 10:2-3
- I Corinthians 15:52
- Romans 14:12
- Matthew 25:46
I Corinthians 15:56-57