- Matthew 6:1-15
- Matthew 6:1-4 – Don’t seek approval from men when practicing righteousness. Do what is right before God with the right motive and God will reward you.
- Matthew 6:5-6 – This is not saying it is wrong to pray in public. We have numerous examples of Jesus, Paul, and others doing so. The emphasis is on praying with the right motive.
- Matthew 6:10 – God’s kingdom is now here (the church), but we can still pray that God’s kingdom will grow and spread in the hearts of men.
- Matthew 6:13 – See James 1:13. God tempts no man. Compare I Corinthians 10:13. This is a prayer that we will not be drawn into temptation, especially that which we might be unable to bear. See also Psalms 141:4.
- Matthew 6:7 – It is not wrong to repeat yourself in prayer. Jesus did so in His own prayers at times (compare the use of “Father” in Jesus’ prayer in John 17). It is wrong, however, to use meaningless
For further study, see also:
Questions or comments? Join our Discord server for further study.