- Acts 6:5
- Samaritans: I should love my neighbor
- Acts 1:8
- Samaria was both a region and a city.
- John 4:7-9; 8:48; Luke 9:51-56 – The great divide between Jews and Samaritans.
- Acts 8:5-13 – Philip went to teach the Samaritans despite the hostility between them and Jews (of which Philip was one).
- Preaching: the power of the gospel
- Acts 8:25-40
- Many today teach that the Holy Spirit must directly act upon you before you can be saved. That is not what happened here!
- Acts 8:4-5, 35-36 – Philip preaches Jesus and the result is baptism.
- Longevity: Growing (without growing bitter)
- Acts 8:40; 21:8
- Somewhere around 20 years passed between Acts 8 and 21.
- Mark 4:16
- Are we planting roots in God’s word so that as time passes, we will be able to stand?
- Philip had good reason to grow bitter because of the prosecution of Saul. Then Saul (now Paul) comes to stay at his house!
- Acts 1:10-14
- Philip grew to be called “the evangelist” – not “the grumpy old man!” He endured lots of unfairness, but he did not let it make him bitter.
For further study, see also:
Questions or comments? Join our Discord server for further study.