- Exodus 19-20
- Sinai and the ten commandments:
- First 4: obligations to God
- Last 6: obligations to other people
- No other gods (Exodus 20:3)
- No idols (Exodus 20:4-6)
- All other religions used physical images.
- See also Exodus 20:22-25.
- Do not take God’s name in vain (Exodus 20:7)
- See also Leviticus 19:12.
- Observe the Sabbath day (Exodus 20:8-11)
- Deuteronomy 5:15
- Compare Hebrews 4:9. We work on Earth and at the end we receive rest.
- Colossians 2:16-17 – the Sabbath is no longer commanded.
- Honor your father and mother (Exodus 20:12)
- Matthew 15:3-6
- Ephesians 6:1
- This is not just requiring obedience. You must obey and honor your parents.
- You shall not murder (Exodus 20:13)
- Exodus 21:12 – capital punishment
- Numbers 35:15-34 – God distinguishes between accidental death, murder, and execution.
- You shall not commit adultery (Exodus 20:14)
- See also Leviticus 18, 20.
- You shall not steal (Exodus 20:15)
- You shall not bear false witness (Exodus 20:16)
- You shall not covet (Exodus 20:17)
- “You shall be my own possession” (Exodus 19:5-6)
- Compare Galatians 3:7-14; Titus 2:14; I Peter 2:9
- “The Lord came down on Mt. Sinai” (Exodus 19:20)
- Compare Deuteronomy 5:22-29
For further study, see also:
respect for parents
using God's name in vain
Questions or comments? Join our Discord server for further study.