- Acts 20:28 – Feed the Elders were over one church.
- Acts 14:23
- Alexander Campbell and others started the American Christian Missionary Society in 1849, which pooled the funds of many churches together under the leadership of a board of directors.
- In the mid-1900s, a similar apostasy happened in the form of sponsoring churches.
- Congregational independence is scriptural.
- Acts 8:4
- Congregational independence is effective.
- Colossians 1:23
- Philippians 4:15-16 – Everyone was able to hear God’s Word without a centralized structure.
- II Corinthians 11:8-9
- Acts 4:34-36
- Congregational independence is a safety measure.
- When one church wanders away from God’s Word, only that one church is affected. This is not the case in a sponsoring church arrangement.
- Congregational independence is the Lord’s specified way.
For further study, see also:
Questions or comments? Join our Discord server for further study.