- Titus 1:5; Acts 14:23 – Churches did exist without elders and they had the same functions as those that did. However, churches in general function better with qualified elders.
- Three things are necessary for a local church to appoint elders:
- Men who meet the standard set by God
- Men who are willing to take on the role and responsibilities
- Men who are acceptable to the congregation
- Some qualifications for elders are absolute and some are not.
- There are several different words for the same role: Acts 20:17, 28; Titus 1:7; I Peter 5:2
- Shepherds (Ezekiel 34:1-10)
- Elders are limited in their function to the congregation over which they have been appointed.
For further study, see also:
Questions or comments? Join our Discord server for further study.