- Unconditional election: the doctrine that God chose some people to be saved and others to not be saved. God’s choice is not based on anything that man is or does.
- John 6:44-45
- Some proof texts examined:
- John 15:6 – Jesus said this specifically to the apostles. He chose them for a work (preaching and teaching), not for salvation.
- Acts 13:48 – Those who are ordained are the ones who believe.
- Ephesians 1:4-5 – God foreordained that those who believed and obeyed would be saved.
- Romans 8:29-30
- Proof of its falsity:
- Acts 10:34-35 – God is not a respecter of persons. All can come to Him! Whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.
- Romans 2:11
- Acts 2:40 – Calvinists claim there is nothing a man can do to save himself, but that’s exactly what Peter says to do.
- Acts 9:6 – Paul’s salvation depended on him doing what God told him to do.
- Hebrews 5:8-9
For further study, see also:
Questions or comments? Join our Discord server for further study.