- I John 1:7
- Each word in the above is very significant:
- “If”: two possibilities, to walk or not to walk
- “We”: personal, too important for me to miss it
- “Walk”: continuous action, keep on walking
- “In”: in connection with
- “The”: definite article, only light in which can walk
- “Light”: truth, make God’s Word our light
- Blessings for walking in the light
- Blood keeps on cleansing
- Keep on having fellowship with God
- The blessings are not automatic. God has never bestowed blessings without response.
- Luke 17:10 – When one meets his responsibilities, he has not earned salvation.
- Romans 6:23 – It is still be grace.
- Wrong views of walking in the light
- Some say:
- It is just believe and love; doctrine and practice do not make a difference.
- It is to feel in our hearts we are right.
- It is to never sin.
- It is to be able to specifically recognize, confess, and pray about every sin, even those done ignorantly.
- The truth
- Psalm 19:12-13 – Secret vs presumptuous sins
- Walking in the light in this context
- Sometimes we sin (I John 1:8,10)
- Keep on confessing (I John 1:9)
- Keep on keeping His commands (I John 2:3-5)
- Walk as He walked (I John 2:6)
- Some say:
Being blood cleansed
Walking in the light
- The one who slips has not stopped walking in the light, but the one who stops confessing, obeying, and praying is not walking in the light.
- The one who walks in the light:
- Has been baptized into Christ
- Is making Jesus the lord of his life
- Specifically confesses and prays about sins of which he is cognizant
- Prays like David in case he has sinned unknowingly.
- I John 5:10-13
- I John 2:1-2