- Mark 9:33-37 – The disciples discuss who will be the greatest.
- Matthew 20:20-28
- Luke 22:24-27 – The greatest is the one who serves.
- John 13:1-17 – Jesus washed the disciples’ feet. These were the same people who would forsake Him on the cross! He commanded them to wash each other’s feet – to serve each other.
- Philippians 2:5-8
- Greatness will only come to those that serve others.
How to become a servant
- Deny self / crucify self (Luke 9:23; Galatians 2:20)
- We must first desire discipleship. God doesn’t force anyone to serve Him.
- Make Christ Lord of your life (I Peter 3:15)
- Remove pride, humble self (I Peter 5:5-6)
- Esteem others better (Philippians 2:3)
- Seek out ways to serve others (Galatians 5:13)
Ways we can serve
- Doing good works (Titus 2:14; 3:1, 8, 14)
- Practicing hospitality (Romans 12:13)
- Encouraging others (I Thessalonians 5:11, 14)
- Bear one another’s burdens (Galatians 6:2)
- Pray for the needs of others (Colossians 1:9-12; James 5:16)
- Share our blessings with others (Hebrews 13:16)
- Teaching the gospel to the lost (I Corinthians 9:19-22)
- Serve in the local church (Romans 16:1-2)
- Greet people, send cards, clean building, mow grass, teach a Bible class, provide a ride, lead singing, give a talk, lead a prayer, make visits, etc.
Servant Song by Matthew Bassford
- Matthew 25:21 – “Well done good and faithful servant.”