Enkrateia – Self-control
It’s a core quality of successful living
- Titus 2:11-14 – Restraint allows us to live better lives.
- Luke 9:23 – Jesus had perfect self-control.
- I Corinthians 9:23-27 – It takes discipline and self-control to put ourselves on the right path.
- II Peter 2:1, 14, 18-19
- Secular research results
- Self-control is a better determinator of success than intelligence or athletic ability.
- People with more self-control are happier about their lives.
You can grow it like a muscle
- Galatians 5:24-25 – We are making a choice to put away sin.
- II Peter 1:5-11 – These qualities should be continually increasing.
- Improving self-control in one area helps in all areas!
Be thinking of some ways to exercise more self-control starting today!
- Finances – Ecclesiastes 5:10
- Emotions – Proverbs 16:32
- Speech – Proverbs 21:23
- Lust of the flesh – I Thessalonians 4:7
- Lust of the eyes – Job 31:1
- Pride – I Peter 5:5
- Teach children self-control. If all you leave them is good self-control, that is a great inheritance!