- Hebrews 11:13-16
- v13 – “These all died in faith” – what a compliment!
- v16 – Like them, we seek a heavenly country.
- Hebrews 11:17-19 – Abraham’s great faith in offering Isaac
- Hebrews 11:20 – II Kings 8:20 – Esau became a great people as promised.
- Hebrews 11:21 – The blessings of Jacob came to pass for Ephraim and Manasseh.
- Hebrews 11:22 – Joseph spoke of the exodus and knew that God would deliver the Israelites from Egypt.
- Hebrews 11:23-29 – Moses was hidden “by faith” – evidently his parents somehow knew of God’s plan or hid him because they thought it would be sinful to allow him to be killed. Moses could have had all the money and power he wanted, but he left Pharaoh’s house to serve God.
- v27 – When Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt, he did not fear Pharaoh, but trusted God.
- v28 – Here we see the power of the blood in saving the firstborn from death. The blood itself had no power except for God’s promise. Today, Jesus’ blood has a similar power to save us in a spiritual sense.
- Hebrews 11:30 – By faith, the people did what God said and the impregnable walls of Jericho fell down.
- Hebrews 11:31 – Rahab protected the Israelite spies and helped them escape. Rahab was a harlot, but she turned in faith to God.
- Hebrews 11:32-40 – Even though all these showed great faith, they did not receive what was promised. (See Hebrews 9:15.) All of these were looking forward to the coming of Jesus. Through Jesus they, like us, receive forgiveness of sins as was promised.
For further study, see also:
Questions or comments? Join our Discord server for further study.