- Mark 15:1-34
- Mark 15:1 – The Jews wanted Jesus to be a public spectacle, thus the plan to seek His crucifixion.
- Mark 15:10 – Pilate knew that the leaders of the Jews envied Jesus’ power and influence.
- Mark 15:15 – The Jewish law restricted punishment to a maximum of 40 lashes, of which they customarily gave only 39. The Romans had no such restriction, so there is no way to know how many lashes Jesus received here. It is reported that prisoners sometimes died from the scourging itself.
- Mark 15:21 – See Luke 23:26. Simon carried the aft part of the cross while Jesus carried the fore part.
- Mark 15:32 – Some have argued there is a contradiction here with Luke 23:39-43. It seems that both of the criminals reviled Jesus, but then one had a change of heart. There is no contradiction. Luke’s account just gives more detail.
For further study, see also:
Questions or comments? Join our Discord server for further study.