- James 2:21-23 – Abraham was called a friend of God.
- Abraham was justified by an active faith – his works. Works here are works of obedience – not works that earn one salvation.
- Hebrews 11
- Nouns (faith, belief)
- Verbs (prepared, offered, etc.)
- I John
- Walking, confessing, keeping, loving, abiding, practicing, guarding, purifying
- If we say we have faith in God, we prove it by what we do!
- James 2
- “Faith was completed by his works.”
- Chronology of God’s promises to Abraham
- Genesis 12:1-3 – 75 years old when promised a seed/offering
- Genesis 16:15-16 – 86 years old when Ishmael (not the promised offspring) is born
- Genesis 17:1-19 – 99 years old when he and Sarah would have a son named Isaac
- Genesis 18:9-14 – 99 years old – in one year Sarah to give birth to Isaac
- Genesis 21:1-5 – 100 years old when the promised son Isaac is born
- Genesis 22:1-2 – Age unknown – God tells Abraham to offer Isaac.
- Did Abraham actually sacrifice Isaac?
- James 2:21
- God got the sacrifice He wanted: He wanted Abraham.
Abraham the friend of God sacrificed his logic
- II Kings 5:9-12 – Naaman didn’t think Elisha’s instructions made any sense!
- Baptism may not make sense to us from a human standpoint.
Abraham the friend of God sacrificed his emotions
- Matthew 10:34-38
Abraham the friend of God sacrificed his will
- Matthew 16:24 – We must deny ourselves.