I Corinthians 14
- I Corinthians 14:2 – Speaking in tongues is only beneficial if the language is understood or can be translated.
- I Corinthians 14:3-5 – Prophecy is seen as the more generally useful gift.
- I Corinthians 14:6-9 – Speaking in tongues is useless unless the language is understood.
- I Corinthians 14:10-11 – See Genesis 11:7-9. Clear communication is critical!
- I Corinthians 14:13 – Apparently it was at least sometimes possible for one speaking in tongues to also interpret.
- I Corinthians 14:14-17 – “Mind” is also translated “understanding.”
- I Corinthians 14:18-19 – Compare Paul’s attitude in I Corinthians 10:33. The emphasis was always on edification.