Acts 2, continued:
- Acts 2:38
- The word “for” in “baptism for the remission of sins” here means “so that your sins will be forgiven.” The Greek word behind it has the idea of moving toward a goal.
- “Gift of the Holy Spirit”
- Acts 8:20 – The gift is from God, not God Himself.
- Romans 5:17 – Similar usage.
- According to the context, the gift is salvation.
- Acts 2:42 – The doctrine was what came from the twelve apostles, not the 120 disciples or another group.
- Acts 3:6-10 – See Isaiah 35:6. The apostles performed this miracle to confirm the authority of their message. See I Corinthians 13:8-10. We no longer see miraculous works like this today.
- Acts 3:13-16 – See Isaiah 49:3; 42:1.