- Most of the qualifications for elders are qualifications for Christians in general.
- Qualifications that are peculiar to elders:
- Desiring the office - I Timothy 3:1. The office of elder or overseer is a good work.
- Not a new convert to the faith – I Timothy 3:6
- Apt to teach – I Timothy 3:2. All Christians should be able to teach others to some degree, but elders should be particularly capable in this area.
- Able to convince those who oppose God – Titus 1:9
- Husband of one wife – I Timothy 3:3
- Wife must be of good character – I Timothy 3:11
- Must rule his own house well. Children must believe and not be rebellious – I Timothy 3:4-5; Titus 1:6
- It could be that a man has subordinate, well-mannered children, but it is clear that he had no part in raising them to be this way. In this case, the children do not act as a qualification for the man.
For further study, see also:
Questions or comments? Join our Discord server for further study.